The fastest and the best way to encourage kids to read more is to provide books that tap into their natural interests! Children’s reading habits differ from one another. You may already know a child who loves adventure stories, another one who devours books filled with fascinating facts about our world, and another who is sports crazy. Some enjoy comics while other children enjoy books about family life and school because they can connect to the characters and really see themselves in those stories. Luckily, there are many wonderful titles in all of these areas for children to explore.
The great majority of books we recommended contain humor as it core. Series books introduce beloved characters in new stories, with recognizable plot structures and familiar storylines such as making friends, solving mysteries, or going on amazing adventures. These features can be reassuring to readers and make them eager to dive into the next book.
Below are some of the recommendations that we think will appeal to kids based on their age.
- Amelia Bedelia series by Peggy Parish (ages 3-6)
- Mr Men and Little Miss series by Roger Hargreaves (ages 3-6)
- Pete the Cat series by James Dean (ages 3-6)
- LEGO Ninjago readers and chapter book series by various authors (ages 6-9)
- LEGO Superheroes readers and chapter book series by various authors (ages 6-9)
- Rainbow Magic series by Daisy Meadows (ages 6-9)
- Big Nate series by Lincoln Peirce (ages 6-9)
- Horrid Henry series by Francesca Simon (ages 6-9)
- Black Lagoon Adventures series by Mike Thaler (ages 6-9)
- Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey (ages 6-9)
- Dog Man series by Dav Pilkey (ages 6-9)
- Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne (ages 6-9)
- Hank Zipzer series by Henry Winkler and Lin Oliver (ages 6-9)
- Judy Moody series by Megan McDonald (ages 6-9)
- Stink series by Megan McDonald (ages 6-9)
- Geronimo Stilton series by Geronimo Stilton (ages 6-9)
- Flat Stanley series by Jeff Brown (ages 6-9)
- Amulet series by Kazu Kibuishi (ages 9-12)
- Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer (ages 9-12)
- Bone series by Jeff Smith (ages 9-12)
- Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan (ages 9-12)
- Horrible Histories by Terry Deary (ages 9-12)
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid series by Jeff Kinney (ages 9-12)
- Harry Potter series by J K Rowling (ages 9-12)
With two kids of my own I have realised that certain genres (humor, mysteries, fantasy ) are especially appealing, as well as certain topics (action and adventure, school days) including graphic novels.
You can purchase these books in pre-loved condition from Us.
So what do you think of the list, I am sure they are many more. Do share your feedback and add some of your own favorites in the comments below.